March 23, 2010

Creamy Peanut Soup


I seriously can't get enough of this soup.  Everyone in my house (including the wee one) goes nuts for the stuff. Try it, you'll love it!

1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped and seeded
2 medium russet potatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart (4 Cups) no-chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
Dash of cayenne (optional)
roasted peanuts, chopped, to taste (optional garnish)
  •  Place onions, potatoes, garlic and bell pepper in a large pot with broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
  • Add the peanut butter.
  • Either stick a hand-blender right into the pot and blend until creamy, or transfer in small batches to a blender.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as nutritional yeast and cayenne (if using).
  • Makes about 4 large servings. Top each bowl with chopped peanuts. Delicious!

6 comments:

Joy said...

That looks really good. I would never think of using peanuts in a soup.

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

peanut soup!!!! oh girl i love it!
thanks for all your entries, too :)

your word verification is failing over and over
arghhhh!

Kelly said...

Peanuts are my passion! I eat them daily--by the handful or with a spoon out of the jar--this soup speaks loudly to me! Yum! I'd love to try this out!

Janel (Eat Well with Janel) said...

Hi! I just stumbled on your blog and not only do I adore your layout but I love your content! Your recipes look amazing with no funky vegan ingredients. I cannot wait to add your blog to my reader and follow along!

Mihl said...

This sounds wonderful! I love savoury peanut dishes!

crunchyveganwifelife said...

I have never tried peanut soup, but I am goint to try it now!
I just happened to come across you blog and I really like it!!!! Thanks for your frugel ways!!!