November 18, 2010

Agave-Sweetened Zucchini Walnut Muffins


Remember that awesome deal on maple syrup I told you guys about last week? Well, check this out. I traded in an old textbook to Amazon.com a while back, and received a $16 credit for it. So, I was able to purchase a 32-ounce bottle of organic maple syrup and two 46-ounce bottles of organic agave nectar for less than 10 bucks! With the deals and my credit, I was able to seriously stock up on stuff I normally can't even afford to buy.

These zucchini walnut muffins are made with whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil, agave instead of sugar, and topped with toasted wheat germ. Can we say fiber explosion?! Add in some protein from the walnuts, and tasty vites from the bananas and zucchini, and you're looking at a pretty great way to start your day. Try these on for size...

1 small/medium zucchini, grated (do not peel)
2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
  • In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Then add zucchini, applesauce, agave, and vanilla. Stir well.
  • Add all remaining ingredients, except wheat germ, and stir well.
  • Divide batter equally into an oiled (or sprayed) 12-muffin pan. 
  • Top each muffin with a generous sprinkling of toasted wheat germ.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Enjoy!
NUTRITION FACTS (per muffin):
Calories: 230.2 / Total Fat: 7.9g (Saturated Fat: 0.9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.0g) / Cholesterol: 0.0mg / Sodium: 276.0mg / Potassium: 237.1mg / Total Carbohydrates: 36.6g (Dietary Fiber: 5.7g, Sugar: 18.6g) / Protein: 5.9g

8 comments:

dreaminitvegan said...

These are some scrumptious looking muffins and I love that no oil was used in them too!

foodchain said...

These look so delicious AND healthy! Go you! I also love that your blog is based on a tight budget. I'm a student, and I try to blog about how to be a "cheap vegan" whenever I can.

Jenn said...

Does the entire 1/4 cup of toasted wheat germ get sprinkled on top of the muffins, or does it get mixed in with the other dry ingredients?

Jennifer M. said...

Yes, it all gets sprinkled on top.
=)

Liz said...

These look absolutely scrumptious! One question though: could I substitute wheat bran for wheat germ?

Jennifer M. said...

I've never tried that, but it might work. One of the things about the toasted wheat germ that I like is that the toasted flavor adds a little extra flavor kick to the top of your muffin, but the wheat bran might toast up on its own since it's on top. I don't guess it could hurt to give it a try!
Let me know how it turns out.

Christine said...

Hi...We made these muffins yesterday and they were to die for, but we have a quick question on the nutrition facts...where does the 7.9gm of fat come from? Thanks! Christine

Jennifer M. said...

Primarily from the heaping helping of walnuts. Leave them out to cut the fat, and you're good to go!