May 25, 2011

Cheezy Spinach and Mushroom Quiche


Yeah, yeah, I know... My quiche has fallen apart. I'm actually still working on perfecting this recipe, but it turned out really tasty last night, so I thought I'd go ahead and share what I've got so far.
The problem here was twofold:
  1. I was impatient and didn't let it cool before I sliced into it.
  2. I didn't properly press my tofu, so that added quite a bit of excess water to my quiche.
But, hey, if you don't mind this dish not looking so traditional, you can throw that tofu right in without pressing it, and start noshing on it as soon as it comes out of the oven. I won't judge. And it still tastes great! 

1 frozen vegan pie shell (I recommend Wholly Wholesome)
1 block extra firm tofu, drained/pressed/crumbled
1 cup vegan cheddar, shredded
6 large white mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 cup loosely packed spinach leaves, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon paprika
1/8 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered - for garnish
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Place all ingredients, except garnishes, into a large bowl and stir until well-mixed.
  • Spoon into pie shell and press with back of spoon until top is level.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes. Watch closely - don't burn your crust!
  • Remove from oven, allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
  • Top with chopped tomatoes.
  • Makes 6 servings.
  • Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFO (per serving, calculated with a whole wheat shell):
Calories: 365.7 / Total Fat: 23.7g (Saturated Fat: 7.1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5.4g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 718.8mg / Potassium: 468.0mg / Total Carbohydrates: 26.2g (Dietary Fiber: 9.1g, Sugar: 4.3g) / Protein: 18.8g

    2 comments:

    Vic Robinson said...

    Looks great! I have never had a quiche! :)

    dreaminitvegan said...

    Even though you said this fell apart it looks sooooo good! I love all the cheeziness. Yum!