I found the most gorgeous organic red bell peppers at the grocery store yesterday! They were picture-perfect, and even though I love roasting red peppers, these were just too pretty to blacken over a flame. So, what did I do? I chopped 'em to bits and threw 'em in a scramble! Seems like a reasonable compromise, right?
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 cup water, plus more if needed
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced (if you can't afford red, green will work too!)
14 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons paprika, to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
5 small to medium-sized links/patties of vegan sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne (optional)
Shredded vegan cheddar, for garnish (optional)
Vegan sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Corn tortillas, for use as a vehicle to get the scramble to your mouth (optional)
- Place 1/2 cup of water, onions, and garlic into a large skillet and saute over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add peppers and continue to saute for a couple of minutes, until they begin to soften. Add more water, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- Add tofu and continue to saute until all ingredients are soft and heated through. Continue to add water, if needed.
- Add soy sauce, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Stir until well-blended.
- Add the sausage.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for just a few minutes. You can use this time to heat up your tortillas, if you're using them.
- Load the scramble onto a tortilla. Top with cheese and sour cream, then munch! High in protein, this scramble is a fantastic and delicious way to start your day. You will be zooming with energy for hours!
- Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!