January 7, 2012

A Big Fat Bowl of Comfort


Today has just been one of those crappy, ho-hum days where my sick, grumpy daughter is puking on everything in sight and the best thing on TV is Satan's School for Girls, starring Shannon Doherty (which, I'll admit, I am watching with perverse fascination). My cat's are whining. My kid is whining. Now I'm whining... I finally decided "enough is enough!" So, I set out to make some good old-fashioned comfort food. Sadly, my larder is pretty bare, but after a little digging I managed to piece together a delicious, and very nutritious, chili. And I'm happy to say that it turned out great! I'm working on my second helping as I type. Try it out - it's seriously good for what ails ya. Now it's time to go make some cupcakes and take a nap...

1 14-ounce package Ground Beef-style Gimme Lean, cubed
2 tablespoons oil
1 25-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 kidney bean cans of water
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 vegetable bullion cube (no MSG)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • In a cast-iron or non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium, then gently brown the Gimme Lean on all sides. No need to be methodical with this, just keep tossing it all around with a spatula until all pieces are nice and brown and slightly crispy on the outside.
  • In a large pot, place all remaining ingredients. Stir well and heat to boiling. 
  • Reduce heat to medium-low. Add Gimme Lean, stir well, then cover. 
  • Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Makes 8 servings.
NUTRITION INFO (per serving):
Calories: 244.9 / Total Fat: 5.2g (Saturated Fat: 0.8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.3g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 855.3 / Potassium: 250.8mg / Total Carbohydrates: 35.8g (Dietary Fiber: 10.4g, Sugar: 3.9g) / Protein: 14.4g

2 comments:

dreaminitvegan said...

Looks like comfort.

Unknown said...

haha I saw that too. I was tempted to watch it but I knew I wouldn't get anything else done. The soup looks lovely.