November 8, 2012

Zucchini and Three Bean Soup


I hope everyone had a great MoFo! I know I did. I discovered lots of great new vegan blogs, made some friends, and even won some stuff! I'm an Irish girl, but I am ironically and very notoriously unlucky. October 2012, however, was my lucky month! I won a free pint of Nada Moo, a free tub of Earth Balance butter, and three (seriously, THREE!) new cookbooks. How awesome is that?! 

Here's the list of my new cookbooks, and the respective blog from whence they were won:
Okay, okay. That's enough braggin'. Here's the recipe...

I have a jalapeno pepper plant growing in my front yard and, even though it's fruit is probably flavored by the car pollution streaming off the heavy traffic on the street in front of my house, I really love to stick jalapenos into anything that will complement them. And I want to use up the last of my peppers before winter comes! One can only eat so much pico de gallo...

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 large zucchini squash, chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Optional Additions:
1 pound extra firm tofu, cubed and pan-fried
4 links Tofurkey Italian Sausage, sliced and pan-fried
  • Pre-heat a large pot. Add oil and let the oil heat up. But not too much! You don't want it to start smoking. 
  • Add onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Sautee for several minutes, until veggies are tender and your kitchen starts to smell amazing.
  • Add broth, seasoning, beans, and zucchini. Bring soup to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Reduce heat and add cilantro.
  • Cover and allow to simmer on medium-low heat for a half hour to an hour, tasting occasionally to check for flavor. 
  • Add more seasoning if you wish, but keep in mind that this makes a huge pot of soup, so a whole bunch of it is likely going to go in your fridge. And, as it sits, the seasoning and spices get more intense. It will be much more spicy on Day Two than it was on Day One. Just giving you fair warning!
  • If you're going to add one of the optional ingredients, wait to do so until just before serving.
  • Tastes great with a side of vegan-buttered baguette.
  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow--congratulations! I am jealous, lol. I am unlucky too, and my unlucky luck persisted throughout October...I entered tons of giveaways, and won nothing :-)

Your soup looks great!

Courtney